Monday, September 29, 2008

Hey Roomie!!!

I had wanted to do some farther looking online schooling from the beginning of our experiences this week. But I was interested to find this article about how some colleges are using a new profiling program to have student find roommates. The link to the article is http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/connecticut/ny-bc-ct-fea--onlineroommat0927sep27,0,5892616.story. It is just awesome to think that I could have known a majority of my class prior to starting college and also avoided roommate problems that I dealt with my first year. There are very few drawbacks that I can think would even occur from using these types of systems.


The part that I find the most interesting is the option the student have as well as the benefits that the school gains. The school no longer has to do the entire roommate work and hope for the best by just randomly combining students. The system works by students crating a profile with interests and study habits. They then use this system to look up one another and also are able to chat and post on a wall system much like face book.


Overall the program seems to be working well the main drawback are a lack of student participation that is hovering around 50% for most of the schools it has been introduced to. The system of allowing students to choose roommates also helps them insure they will get along with their roommate, which is a major benefit when beginning college experience. The program has also helped students to know someone before they even begin school, which really helps because most of the schools that use it are accepting more than 800 freshman and they are from all around the United States. Overall I think this should be introduced as an option at all schools allowing students to meet people and also help people get acquainted.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I think that trying to find your roommate online is a wonderful idea!! It definitely opens you up to a whole new world of how your first few weeks of freshmen year will be like. It can really help you find that one person who you think will make the perfect roommate for you.

However, I kind of like the random room drawing. I know it is kind of old fashioned, but this is how college roommate situations have worked in the past! However, I think I am just being resistant to change. But I do know that the roommate the school assigned me last year and I got along fine during the course of the year, and are still friends this year.

However, with times changing and more people going off to college, this roommate selection process can definitely do more help than hurt when it comes to freshmen roommate selections. Whoever thought this website up is a genius!

jenn said...

That's funny that you mention that. I had problems with my roommate my freshman year as well. Now I am happily living by my self in Jeffers dorm. I really don't know why they put some people together. I play softball here and my roommate was in the band. There is nothing wrong with being in the band, but we just have different interests. You would think that they would arrange people with other people based on their interest. But at the same time. My friend and her roommate are best friends. They have been since their freshman year. They didn't have anything in common, but now they are best friends, so I guess sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.

Catie said...

I think this program sounds really great! Coming into college is a tough transition and being able to have a hand in the decision of choosing your roommate could really be helpful. The fact that there is lack of participation does raise some concern. What's the point of having a resource if people don't use it?